How can I get garbage service?
Garbage service is started at the same time you begin water service. The garbage service is provided by Waste Management but billed by the Town of Flower Mound. A 95-gallon container is provided as well as a 95-gallon recycle container. Garbage, recycling, and bulk items are picked up once a week. The Town of Flower Mound will notify Waste Management to deliver containers, to new homes upon initiation of a new account. Containers are typically already present at an existing home. For additional information related to garbage and recycling services please visit Trash/Recycling on the Town's website.

Show All Answers

1. Where is the water department located?
2. How do I get the water service in my name?
3. When do I get my deposit back?
4. Can the deposit be waived if I send a Letter of Credit?
5. How can I get garbage service?
6. Where can I get rid of my moving boxes?
7. How can I pay my water bill?
8. What does the Net/Gross amount on my bill mean?
9. Can I check my account online?
10. Does Flower Mound offer E-Billing for utility statements?
11. Do you offer water bill averaging?
12. Is the meter read every month?
13. Where is my water meter located?
14. Why is my water bill so high?
15. What do I do if I have a leak?
16. How can I check for a slow leak?
17. Why is my sewer rate so high?
18. How often is my meter read and how is it read?
19. How does ensuring the meter reader clear access to the water meter help keep costs down?
20. How do I turn off my water at the meter?
21. How do I test for a water leak on my side of the meter?