Have you noticed the new sign at Lakewood Park (2601 Stillwater Court) in Flower Mound? The sign matches the park's airplane theme, but it's also an homage to an important piece of Flower Mound's history. It is a replica of the original Hilliard Landing Area Airfield sign, which hung near 1500 Long Prairie Rd. since the airfield was established in 1960.
The airfield, which was built by Ernest Hilliard before Flower Mound was even an incorporated Town, was once recognized by Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. For years after the Hilliard Airfield stopped operations, air traffic controllers at DFW would still tell incoming aircraft to "take the Hilliard Approach" as a way to tell pilots from which direction they should approach a runway.
When the original sign was removed from its location in 2022, Town staff wanted to find a way to honor the Hilliards, one of Flower Mound's oldest families, and this important piece of history. Thus, the replica was created, and in April 2023, installed at Lakewood Park. The original sign is in good hands with a direct descendant of Ernest Hilliard himself. Make sure to stop by Lakewood Park to admire this homage to Flower Mound's history!