Brrrr… It’s getting chilly out there!Here are some of their top safety tips this season:
- Get your natural gas appliances and customer-owned natural gas piping inspected periodically by a licensed professional.
- Make sure your outdoor vents are free of obstructions and not blocked so there’s plenty of air flow.
- Insulate windows, doors, roofs, and other outdoor openings to keep warm air inside your home.
- Limit your hot water use by installing water-flow restrictors on shower heads and faucets.
- Set your thermostat to 70 degrees during the day and to 58 degrees when away from home.
- Carefully remove snow or ice buildup from your home’s gas meter, vents, and pipes.
Some of the best ways to conserve energy during colder months include:
- Run your washing machine and dryer only when you have a full load of clothes.
- Open drapes and blinds during daylight hours to let the sun’s warmth inside on cold days.
- Install a programmable or smart thermostat to regulate temperatures.
As always, if you smell gas, act fast. Leave the area immediately. Then, from a safe distance, call 911 and your gas provider’s emergency number. Stay warm out there!