News Flash

Front Page News Feed

Posted on: November 19, 2021

Remember to Make Safety Your Top Priority When Turning on Heaters and Fireplaces

Gas pipe in front of a brick wall

As you’re turning on your heaters and fireplaces for the first time this season, remember to make safety your #1 priority!  Be on high alert for natural gas leaks. For most people, the smell of rotten eggs or a skunk-like odor is a highly reliable indicator of a natural gas leak. You might also be able to hear a hissing or whistling sound near gas appliances or a roaring sound near a pipeline. Also look for blowing dust, bubbling water, or dead vegetation near gas lines.
If you suspect a natural gas leak, act fast! Leave the area immediately. Once you’re at a safe distance, call 911. If you suspect there is a natural gas leak, you should NOT:
  • Turn on or off any electric switch. This could cause a spark and ignite the gas.
  • Use a telephone, garage door opener, doorbell, or even a flashlight.
  • Smoke, use a lighter, or strike a match.
  • Start or stop any nearby vehicles or machinery.
  • Try to shut off a natural gas valve.
After calling 911, you can also call your gas provider’s emergency number. Reach Atmos Energy at 866.322.8667 or CoServ at 844.330.0763. They will send a trained technician to investigate.


Facebook Twitter Email