Storing hazardous materials properly in a house is extremely important in keeping a healthy environment. Proper storage will decrease the probability that the materials will end up in local waterways. Many households have hazardous materials stored throughout their homes, especially in garages and sheds. Below are several tips to ensure safety:
- Inspect the containers daily. Always make sure that they are labeled clearly and that the containers are undamaged.
- Keep products out of the reach of children and pets. Do not put them in a place where there is an increased risk of spilling.
- Make certain that containers are sealed to prevent spills.
- Make sure shelves are made of corrosion-resistant materials. It’s a good idea to store containers in corrosion-resistant trays as well.
- Store materials in containers that are recommended by the manufacturer. Keep them away from other types of chemicals and in a cool, well-ventilated area to reduce vapor buildup.
- When looking over storage areas, be sure to check for leaks, poor ventilation, and the smell of fumes.
Flower Mound residents can have household hazardous waste collected right from their front door. View the Household Hazardous Waste webpage
for collection information and a list of acceptable items.