General Questions

Q. Why should I give my name and number when calling in a complaint?

A. Providing the Town your name and number will give us a means of communicating with you regarding the status of the complaint.

Q. Will this information be kept confidential?

A. YES, your contact information will be kept confidential.

Q. What steps does Code Enforcement take when going out to investigate a complaint, and what is the notification process


A. A concern from a resident may come directly to Code Enforcement, or a resident may contact Town Hall, and the concern will be forwarded to Environmental Services. A citizen’s concern is entered into the Town’s database, and a Request for Service is generated and assigned to the Code Enforcement Officer assigned to the area in question.

The initial inspection is typically conducted within 48 hours, and if a code violation is confirmed, notification is either given in person or by mail. Different violations are given different time periods to comply. For instance, a high grass or unsightly matter violation must be corrected within 7 days, while a junked vehicle violation must be corrected within 10 days. Violations that are a danger to the health and safety of the community are given less time to comply.

Q. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale? Where can I place garage sale signs?

A. No permit is required for a garage sale; however, a garage sale cannot last more than three days, and each household is only allowed 2 per year. Garage Sale signs also do not require a permit but can only be placed on private property within 24 hours of the sale and must be removed within 24 hours after the conclusion of the sale. For a complete list of the garage sale sign requirements, please see Sec. 86-4 and Sec. 86-102.  

Q. What do I do if I have a common fence and the neighbors do not want to pay their portion to repair/replace it?

A. The upkeep of common fences separating two private properties should be the responsibility of both property owners. However, in many cases, one of the property owners cannot or will not share in the financial or physical responsibility for the project. In cases such as this, it would become a civil matter between the respective property owners, and they would have to pursue this matter without Town involvement in the dispute.

The Town does require a privacy fence if there is a swimming pool, hot tub, or spa present, in which case the property owner with the swimming pool, hot tub, or spa is responsible for the repair or replacement of the fence. Where these amenities are not present, the Town does not require a fence, but one may possibly be required by the covenants of any existing homeowner’s association. View the Town's fence permit requirements

Q. How do I locate my property lines?

A. Town staff cannot assist with locating property lines. One can engage a licensed and insured land surveyor for assistance. General dimensions for a property are found on the property’s site plan or survey documents. Such dimensions are also frequently noted on subdivision plats available online at the Denton Central Appraisal District https://www.dentoncad.com or the Tarrant County Appraisal District https://www.tad.org/.

Q. What can I do if branches or shrubs from a neighbor’s yard are overhanging my yard?

A. Property owners in every state have the right to cut off branches that grow into their property. This rule is not written down or created by state statute or local ordinance, but is a common law right that has been created by prior court decisions. However, any property owner that does the trimming is responsible for the cost of the work, as well as responsible for any damages that result.

Q. What are the size restrictions for parking a boat, trailer, or recreational vehicle in a driveway?

A. Vehicles, trailers, and recreational vehicles may be parked on the driveway or other improved surface, provided that they do not obstruct the public Right-of-Way (ROW). The ROW is the sidewalk and the street. (Section 66-174)

Recreational vehicles, travel trailers, watercraft, and trailers are not allowed to be parked or stored in a residential district (public ROW or private property) if they are in excess of 8 ½ feet wide or 14 feet high or 36 feet in length. (Section 66-174).

No type of vehicle or trailer may be parked on the grass. Parking must be on an improved surface, i.e., concrete, asphalt, or pave stone. (Section 66-174, Section 82-80)

Q. What is the difference between HOA regulations and Town regulations, and which regulations control?

A. The difference between HOA regulations (set forth in deed restrictions and covenants) and Town regulations (set forth in the Town's Code of Ordinances) can be a matter of the particular content of the regulation, a matter of enforcement of the particular regulation, or both. The general rule is that both sets of regulations are applicable to the property. Where HOA regulations differ from Town regulations on a particular subject matter, the more restrictive regulation will control the situation, generally speaking. Enforcement of HOA regulations is performed by the appropriate HOA committee or board, as specified in the deed restrictions and covenants, and is a civil matter between the property owner and HOA. Enforcement of Town regulations is performed by Town staff (for example, the Code Enforcement Department), and can involve criminal penalties through municipal court proceedings.

Q. What are the restrictions for placing a “For Sale” sign on a vehicle and parking it?

A. Placing a “For Sale” sign on your own private vehicle is allowed as long as you are operating the vehicle on a roadway or have it parked at your own private residential property.

Parking vehicles marked “For Sale” in retail shopping centers or other commercial areas is not allowed. The property owner does not have the authority to give you permission to park your vehicle on their property. Vehicles parked in retail shopping centers or other commercial areas will be subject to being towed.

Nuisance Violation Questions

Q. Do I need a permit for a home occupation?

A. Currently the Town does not require home-based businesses to register, nor do they require a permit. Certain home occupations are allowed in all zoning districts within the Town; however, there are some types of businesses that would not be allowed to operate in property zoned for residential use.

Q. What are the codes for High Weeds & Grass?

A. It is a violation for any person owning, claiming, occupying, or having control of any property within the Town to permit weeds, brush, vegetative growth, or any objectionable or unsightly matter to grow to a height greater than twelve inches (12"). If the property is five acres or more, the owner or person in control is required to mow at least a 100-foot perimeter from the property line. Property that is designated to be maintained in its natural state or is in a conservation easement or floodplain is exempt from the mowing provisions.

Q. What are the codes regarding Noise Control, and what can be done after hours?

A. It is unlawful for any person to create or allow the creation of any noise which causes the noise level to exceed the noise standard for a period not less than 30 minutes when measured at the property boundary or beyond. The noise cannot exceed the noise standard plus 15 decibels (dB) in any one-minute average or the noise standard plus 20 dB at any time during measurement. The noise standards for the particular land use districts in the Town are as follows:

• Residential 10:00 pm to 7:00 am 52dB, 7:00 am to 10:00 pm 62dB
• Office, retail 10:00 pm to 7:00 am 62dB
• Commercial 7:00 am to 10:00 pm 67dB
• Industrial Anytime 70dB

Prohibited Noise, which is defined as any unreasonably loud or disturbing noise which is offensive to an adult person within the Town and renders the enjoyment of life or property uncomfortable or interferes with public peace and comfort, is also not allowed in the Town. The Environmental Health Services Division may be contacted to address noise concerns, or the Police Department may be contacted after hours to address prohibited noise violations. To report noise violations, please call the Environmental Services Division at 972.874.6340 or the Police Department at 972.539.0525 after normal work hours.

Q. Whom do I call regarding my neighbors over-watering their yard?

A. The Town encourages residents to restrict lawn watering, garden watering and irrigation between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. during the hot summer months to ensure Flower Mound has adequate water supply and pressure during periods of reduced rainfall.  During severe drought conditions, the Town may impose additional restrictions, such as limiting outdoor water use to certain days of the week or strictly prohibiting irrigation between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.  For more information on the Seasonal Water Conservation Program, contact Public Works at 972.539.4631.

Q. What are the codes regarding junk vehicles?

A. A junk vehicle is any vehicle that is or was originally designed to move under its own power and does not have lawfully attached to it an unexpired license plate OR a valid motor vehicle safety certificate; AND is wrecked, dismantled, or partially dismantled; OR is inoperable and has remained inoperable for more than 72 consecutive hours on public property or 30 consecutive days on private property. (Section 34-241)

A vehicle owner may store a vehicle on his or her property if it is screened from ordinary public view by appropriate means, including a fence, rapidly growing trees, or shrubbery. A vehicle or part of a vehicle covered by a tarp, car blanket, or similar covering does not meet the requisite screening requirements. (Section 34-245)

Q. My neighbor has a vehicle that has been stored on his driveway for several months. Is this a violation?

A. If the vehicle is not screened and it is a “junk vehicle” as defined by Town Code, it is a violation.

Q. How do I dispose of extra brush/bulk pickup other than on my regularly scheduled pick-up days?

A: You have two options. You may call for a “pay pile” quote from Republic Services. They will then come to your home and provide you with an estimate on the cost to remove the brush/bulk. There is a charge of $45 per hour with a one-hour minimum for this service, and payment must be made in advance directly to Republic Services. To request a quote, please call 817.317.2000.

Another option is that you may go to the Camelot Landfill located at 580 Huffines Blvd., Lewisville, TX 75056. Residents may access the landfill Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 7 to 11:30 a.m.. Residents may dispose of up to 10 cubic yards of waste free once per month. You must have a current water bill and driver’s license with a Town of Flower Mound address to enter. This service is intended for use only by Flower Mound residential customers and does not apply to commercial haulers living in Flower Mound. See more information at http://www.flower-mound.com/594/Landfill.

Q. My neighbor leaves his/her lights on all night. Is this a violation of the Town’s lighting ordinance?

A. Residential lighting that creates a disability glare onto adjacent properties or is brighter than 0.4 foot-candle at the property line is a violation of the Town’s Land Development Regulations. To register a complaint concerning potential lighting violations, please contact the Environmental Services Division at 972.874.6340.