How do I disconnect service?

To disconnect water, sewer, and trash service, please fill out the Request for Disconnection form and return it by email, mail, or in person.


Mail or In Person:

The Town Of Flower Mound
Attn: Utility Billing
2121 Cross Timbers Road
Flower Mound, TX 75028

Disconnections are completed Monday through Friday as early as 7 a.m. No weekends or holidays. Requested disconnection dates shall be completed no earlier than the following business day. No same-day disconnects. If you do not receive a phone call from a Utility Billing representative confirming your form has been received, please contact us at 972.874.6010.