Flood Insurance

Contact your property insurance agent to see if a flood insurance policy would help you. Even if you’re not in the mapped floodplain, you may be subject to flooding from local drainage. In either case, flood insurance can be a good investment because most homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover damage caused by surface water flooding. Banks and loan companies sometimes require flood insurance as a condition of the loan. Under federal law, the purchase of flood insurance is mandatory for all federal or federally related financial assistance for the acquisition and/or building in the SFHA.

can happen anywhere, at any time. More than 20 percent of all flood claims occur outside the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). Flood insurance premiums are lower for properties outside of the SFHA.

can call your insurance agent for more information or visit FloodSmart.gov to find a local insurance agent and other important information about flooding.

a building is located in the SFHA an elevation certificate is needed to determine the buildings true risk of flooding. An elevation certificate is not required but could show your building is at a lower risk and decrease the insurance premium. The Town maintains a record of all elevation certificates received. Contact the Town's Floodplain Manager to determine if the Town has an elevation certificate for your building.