• Be able to distinguish between red, green, and yellow.
• Be able to identify license plate numbers of automobiles at six car lengths while traveling. This requires vision
correctable to 20/20 binocular.
• Be able to pass all steps of the hiring process and meet all other Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
• Be at least 21 years of age or older.
• Have a valid state issued driver’s license.
• TCOLE basic peace officer certification with 1 year post academy experience to include successfully completing a field
training program with a law enforcement agency.
• In lieu of a TCOLE certification, the applicant must have at least:
o 45 college credit hours with a 2.0 grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale, and/or
o Minimum two years in the United States Armed Forces with either an Honorable Discharge or an
active member of the United States Military Reserve.
• Must be a U.S. citizen.
• Must obtain a Texas driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residency if hired from out of state.
• No convictions involving family violence.
• No convictions of a Class B misdemeanor or greater under the Texas Penal Code or any comparable state or federal law,
to include the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
• No convictions of a Class C misdemeanor or comparable law within the last five years (excluding traffic violations).
• No criminal charges pending or under indictment for any criminal offense.
• No illegal drug use within the last five years, and no marijuana use within the last two years. Other drug use will be
considered on a case by case basis.
• Not have more than three chargeable accidents within the last three years, or any combination of chargeable accidents
and moving violations which equal four or more in the last three years.
• Not on probation for any criminal offense.
• Possess a high school diploma or GED.