Program participants must realize that they are working in a potentially hazardous environment and must diligently follow all safety guidelines. This list is provided for the guidance of participants and is not all-inclusive.
- Carpool to the litter pick-up area to keep vehicles to a minimum.
- Park vehicles away from the roadway.
- Vehicle parking is prohibited in the medians, on the parkway or in a traffic lane where parking is prohibited.
- Keep work groups to a manageable size.
- Closely supervise youth groups.
- Maintain a ratio of one (1) adult per four (4) participants under the age of seventeen (17).
- Children under the age of thirteen (13) are prohibited from participating or being present at a clean-up event that is at an Adopt-A-Road, Adopt-A-Median and/or Adopt-A-Entryway Monument Sign area with the exception of Adopt-A-Park.
- Do not remove or handle any hazardous materials found on the site.
- Stay clear of construction areas.
- Do not pick up litter during inclement weather, hours of darkness, or hours of peak traffic.
- Be aware of possible contact with poisonous plants, stinging insects, fire ants, and snakes.
- Consider the possibility of any participant’s known allergies prior to litter pick-up.
- Do not allow participants to partake of, possess, or distribute alcoholic beverages while involved in litter pick-up and/or beautification project(s).
- Make participants aware that they are working in a potentially dangerous environment and caution them to act accordingly.
- Use gloves and protective clothing, and require all participants to do so.
- Avoid exertion and heat problems by drinking water and taking breaks.
- Pay attention to the handling of broken glass.
- Don't touch or play with any exposed wires or cables.
- Don't horse around or do anything that will distract other participants or third parties.