Specific Position Requirements
Use the information below to learn about the various requirements for these positions:
Police Officer / Police Officer Recruit Requirements
To become an officer or officer recruit, you must:
- Be able to distinguish between red, green, and yellow
- Be able to identify license plate numbers of automobiles at six car lengths while traveling. This requires vision correctable to 20/20 binocular
- Be able to pass all steps of the hiring process and meet all other Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) minimum requirements
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of licensing
- Have a valid state issued driver’s license
- TCOLE basic peace officer certification with 1 year post academy experience to include successfully completing a field training program with a law enforcement agency.
- In lieu of a TCOLE certification, the applicant must have at least:
- Have 45 college credit hours with a 2.0 grade point average or higher on a 4.0 scale, and/or
- Minimum two years in the United States Armed Forces with either an Honorable Discharge or an active member of the United States Military Reserve
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must obtain a Texas driver’s license within 30 days of establishing residency if hired from out of state
- No convictions involving family violence
- No convictions of a Class B misdemeanor or greater under the Texas Penal Code or any comparable state or federal law, to include the Uniform Code of Military Justice
- No convictions of a Class C misdemeanor or comparable law within the last five years (excluding traffic violations)
- No criminal charges pending or under indictment for any criminal offense
- No excessive marijuana use.
- No illegal drug use within the last five years; other drug use will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Not have more than three chargeable accidents within the last three years, or any combination of chargeable accidents and moving violations which equal four or more in the last three years
- Not on probation for any criminal offense.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.